Home Featured Relationships Inspirational DIY

Monday, June 24, 2013

Uprooted


 I'm a compare-er. Yep, pretty sure that's not a word, but I just used it. ;) Here's my definitions:   
   
1. One that has a hard time making decisions without someone's opinion.
2. One that second guesses EVERYTHING once said party, errand, purchase, etc. is done.
3. One who gets on Pinterest and Instagram and thinks "everything I have isn't good enough" or "why couldn't I think of that?"
4. One who gets on Facebook, looks at other's pictures and thinks, "How are they so perfect?"
5. One who "shuts down" socially, if intimidated. 
6. And finally, One who dwells on the past with regret and wishes things had been done differently. 

This has always been a major issue in my life, and honestly social media has fed this struggle like no other! Each definition can be traced down to the ugly root of comparison. For a perfectionist (or anyone really)- a society that is seeking and displaying "perfection," it can be miserable. In no way am I surprised, but, I've been speaking with many girls about this lately...there are more people struggling with this than you think, and if you're one of them, I beg you- chew on what you're about to read. 

Life has never been further from reality...further from the truth. For a society that has everything at its fingertips, people have never lived less. I honestly don't have a profound answer for why, but I can tell you this- we are consumed. We are in bondage. And I don't know about you, but I am more than ready to be uprooted and freed from these roots...and live

Friends, we need truth...we need Christ. He is where we find life. He is where our identity is found. He is who we should compare ourselves to! When we come to this reality, these ugly, sinful roots can be severed! Because, and only because Christ already severed them on the cross! 

I think it's important to also realize, we can't fully be uprooted if we cling to Americanized Christianity or religion. Our society has twisted what it means to be a Christian and most people couldn't be further from the truth. If we desire and cling to our possessions, our money, our big homes, our morals, our "blessings," or even being obsessed about our health, we are missing. it. all. We justify all of those things, we are good at twisting our desires as his, but in reality it's the furthest thing from Jesus Christ that we can get- and it's nothing but wrong

This war within ourselves...this comparison craze- it can be won. But how do we break this cycle- this war? We can lift ourselves up out of that life-sucking soil and place ourselves in his life-giving grace daily. That will give us life-giving roots that will enable us to grow and branch out to love on this world- a world in need of living. 

So, seek out the true Jesus- the one who gave everything, the one who commanded us to give and love, not to take and consume. 

Accept your imperfection- embrace his perfection. Do justice, love kindness, and walk humbly with your God. (paraphrased) Micah 6:8. 

Let's really live. 

8 comments:

  1. Love this, Megan! This has been on my mind lately and you wrote it out perfectly. We must embrace His perfection and accept our imperfections and His grace. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan, This is a wonderful thing that you have shared that the Holy Spirit has laid on your heart. Thank you for sharing it with us. I just finished a paper for my Interpersonal Communications class and one article stated "People with humility don't think less of themselves they just think of themselves less." I stand before the Father ashamed for my thoughts lately,thoughts of my have not's instead of the blessing that I have. I repent and pray that my heart and mind become aware of my surroundings and that I walk blessed in my Fathers footsteps.
    Megan, I am so proud to call you my daughter and I am so blessed by the Godly woman that you have made.
    Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Megan!
    I happened upon your blog after reading Paige's blog where she gave you a "shout out" and I am so excited! 1. because I absolutely love what you had to say in this post and its wonderful timing for me because my Bible Study group was just talking about all this this morning and 2. because I live in Chattanooga too! How fun! My husband and I just moved here in November and are loving it! Thanks for sharing your heart and the truth of the gospel in this post! Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Devon!
      Thank you so much for reading and commenting on my blog! :) It's so amazing to see how God works through our words and our obedience in writing them ;) You live in Chattanooga- How crazy is that!? I'm so glad to hear that y'all love it here. It's really not hard to! I just checked out and followed your blog- it's awesome! I love your layout and creativity :) It's great to know I have a fellow blogger in this area! Thanks again, girl!

      Delete
  4. I love you sweet friend. Your words and your heart are so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw Jen, I just love you! Thank you for your comment and encouragement! You're awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is wonderful Megan, so glad I stumbled upon your blog. Thanks for sharing and writing and being transparent with your struggles. It helps us all grow together. By the way, you are beautiful, sweet, kind - no matter which way you are compared. Try and remember not to be too hard on yourself when the urge strikes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sindy,
      Thank you so much for reading my blog! :) I really appreciate your sweet words and encouragement. Your words reminded me to remember qualities and gifts that God has created me with! I needed that reminder, friend! And will continue to remind myself, when I feel those nasty comparison feelings. Thank you again, Sindy!:)

      Oh! And I started following your blog ;)

      Delete