Home Featured Relationships Inspirational DIY

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Where Ever You Go- Go With an Open Heart.

This past week we went on a mini-vacation/reunion to Virginia Beach, VA, to visit with Kyle’s law school friends! We were super excited to get back to the area and be with our friends again- after all, it had been 2 years for some! Plus, we’re kind of obsessed with the East Coast ;) Seriously, what's not to love? 

Oh to be there, right now! 
When you haven’t seen people in so long, there can be sort of an anxiety that builds up. 1. You don’t hang out with them regularly. 2. People change. And 3. You change. I’m not sure about my hubby, but I felt a little of this, definitely because I don’t know them like he does. He spent 3 years with them! But I was more excited than anything and was able to place those anxieties way back in mind (I really am trying to face my anxiety issues!).

After a few hours of being there, my anxieties were a distant thought. I felt at peace and felt a confidence that I know didn't come from myself. Being on the beach definitely helped. ;) I also kept coming back to the reality that I was thinking about myself- that I was making situations about me. I was being selfish in my own sinful way (definitely that comparison sin)! After redirecting my thoughts and heart, I was able to focus on others. I was able to leave behind my anxieties and be myself.


Redirecting can be hard, but it works. It’s as simple as taking your mind off yourself and placing your thoughts and heart on scripture and most importantly Christ and his example. Amazingly, I was then able to focus on others. I had so many meaningful conversations that grew friendships, hopefully encouraged others, and even encouraged me! One of the biggest blessings of it all- I felt community and love where it wasn't expected. I hope that doesn't sound harsh- I’m definitely not meaning it to. I’m meaning that I didn't have an agenda. I didn't go into conversations making sure I grew closer to people or making sure I spoke about Christ. Most of the time it naturally happened. Sometimes faith was not the topic at all- and that’s totally okay! I think that’s key. We can be intentional, sure! But honestly, when it comes down to true friendship and Christ-likeness, we need to be open to friendships of all kinds. We need to be open to discussing hard things or sometimes not discussing things at all.  We need to be okay with being vulnerable and sharing true struggles. We need to have fun! It takes effort. It takes diligence. It takes knowing that you’re going to fail- knowing you’re not perfect. It takes knowing that you might not be accepted (Remember-Christ wasn't always accepted!). Most importantly, it takes being in tune with the Holy Spirit and what that person may need most at that moment! It could even be as simple as being there to listen. 

Those things aren't always easy for me. Some of life's struggles are hard to tell others, sometimes I'm selfish, but ultimately it’s a true testament of God’s grace and glory. It’s a testament of redemption! Because of that- I am not ashamed. I do not harbor feelings of guilt! All that saying- we can be real. We don’t have to put on facades and bring out our “Christian lingo” every 5 minutes (honestly, that’s just a bad idea altogether!). We just need to be us. We just need to be who God created us to be- ourselves (unique with character and personality) and his hands and feet!

Isaiah 52:7:
How beautiful upon the mountain are the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace, who brings news of happiness, who publishes salvation, who says to Zion, “Your God reigns.”

I am so grateful for our friendships in Virginia, Beach! I am incredibly thankful for what they taught and reminded me this past week! I didn't have any reason to be anxious! They are so accepting. And Ultimately, I am thankful for who they are- they are real, raw, and beautiful people…full of life. It was contagious! :) AND a huge thanks to Lisa Marie and Seth, who so graciously offered their guest room to us (after moving in that previous week!) and provided a ridiculously good paleo meal on Friday night! You both are loved and appreciated!

Some of the crew! :) 
To sum it up, the long weekend was a success. July 4th was amazing on the beach and everything was memorable! It was even wonderful for Kyle and me! I can definitely tell it was good for us to get away and be with each other! The (ever so long- 11 hours, there and back!) travel times were some of my most favorite times of the trip- especially when I was wearing my polka dotted pants ;). We always have great conversation and it was completely true for this trip too! I am so grateful for him and our partnership. He’s my favorite. :)

Seriously, you can't get better than fireworks on the beach! 

Um, look at that cutie next to me! ;) We were pulling out of the gas station- so seat belts were put on before the main road started ;) No worries! 

Y'all, I'm in love with these pants. 

AND we were reunited with our fur baby after being away from him for a week! I missed him WAY more than I care to admit ;) 

Look. at. him. Gah! He's so sweet! 

On a side note- If you’re ever in Virginia Beach, you need to check out Doc Taylor’s. It’s one of our favorite eateries in that area and it’s totally worth every penny and every minute you might have to wait! And honestly, if there’s ever a big wait somewhere- you know it’s worth eating there! ;) 

Where ever you go- go with an open heart. A heart fixed on him. 
Peace- 
Megan 

No comments:

Post a Comment