Home Featured Relationships Inspirational DIY

Friday, September 20, 2013

You are Chosen

So, last weekend, my little sister got married! It was the most perfect weekend anyone could have ever asked for. I have never seen her so in charge!

She had it all together and wasn't even nervous.

I have never been more proud of her. I have never been more honored to be her sister.

Maybe that's why I was an unbelievable basket-case!

I literally began crying at the smallest things (on Wednesday...WEDNESDAY- it wasn't even the wedding day!)- like when I packed to leave, when I drove by the little local shop in Chattanooga where we bought our dresses, while she got her nails done, while standing in the church parking lot when her amazing best friend, Hailey, asked me how I was holding up, and if you were at the wedding, I'm sure you noticed I cried walking down the aisle and maybe the entire ceremony. Yeesh.

I can't explain why.

I didn't expect to be so emotional.

I also didn't expect God to speak to me, right before I spoke at their rehearsal dinner.

I was nervously going through what I was going to say in my head (I'm not one for public speaking!), and it hit me...

We did not choose to be sisters, but we choose to be best friends.

God, sovereign in all his grace and mercy, placed us together...as sweet (not so sweet, on my end, when we were itty bitty!) sisters.

But we choose to daily love each other- to have a friendship that not all siblings have.

{I can proudly say that about our brother and parents, too.}

As I sat there, around the beautifully decorated, round, bridal party, table (eating a piece of insanely good cheesecake) my mind wondered from conversations and turned into a home video.

I couldn't help but think back to all the little "sister moments" I cherish- all the dressing up, "clogging" (stomping in our church shoes...) shows in the kitchen, mornings playing barbies, summers eating watermelon on the back porch, running through the sheets that were hanging up to dry, hair-pulling and fingernail scratching fights, and welcoming our little brother into our crazy, fun-loving, sibling club.

Needless to say, it was a short, tear-filled speech.

I still can't believe we are both married...and our brother is a Sophomore in college!

Be still my heart. 

To be honest, I'm still emotional and still in denial.

How does time go by this fast?

Why didn't life come with a slow-down button?

What about a rewind button?

So I could go back and not wish away those little moments...so I could change those times I didn't appreciate things.


-I can already tell, I'm going to be that sappy parent when we have kids!

So much in life is like this. We don't always choose to be where we are, or choose to be placed with certain people, but regardless, we find ourselves there- we find ourselves being thankful...or not realizing what's in front our faces...or begging for whatever it is to be gone.

No matter what season, there are choices we make.

I didn't choose to be the daughter of Lisa and Tim. I didn't choose to be the sister of Maicie and James.

{He did. And I'm forever grateful- I wouldn't have it any other way.}

But I choose to love them.

Jason and Maicie chose each other. They choose to love each other daily.

Kyle and I chose each other. We choose to love each other daily.

And no matter how badly I want it, there is not a slow-down button.

There is not a rewind button.

You may want those buttons, or even a fast forward button.

Whatever your life looks like, remember this- you are chosen, by the one who chose it all.



You are his adopted child. You are his bride. He pursues you.

In all your imperfections.

You may not understand why, or what for...

But thankfully, it's not about understanding- it's about how you choose to respond, who you choose to be, and who (and how) you choose to love.

It's about being Jesus.

It's about choosing to be like him:

When you feel loved and accepted- Love. Be Jesus.

When you aren't loved back- Love anyway. Be Jesus.

When you don't feel like giving grace and mercy- Give it. Be Jesus.

When you feel like being selfish. Be selfless. Be Jesus.

I am so thankful for these choices- whether in the lily fields or in the quick sand.

And for his grace- because I will mess it up.

And for my family- blood related and not...

They have loved me well and have loved me when I am unlovable.

That is life-giving...that is the Gospel.

Loving the imperfect, imperfectly.

We may not see the purpose or value in it at first, but in the right time, and when we allow him to, he will reveal the beauty and treasures in those moments and relationships.

I want to wake up every day, breathe in the goodness of him, be his bride (not just Kyle's), and choose to love and take in the life that he has placed around me.

Wherever you are, breathe in his goodness. Be his bride. Choose to love this crazy, unexplainable (at times), beautiful life. Take it in. Cherish it all.

You are chosen.


2 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful and an admirable post, Megan. Thank you for sharing!

    Also, I was just listening to the 'Sixpence None the Richer' album 'Divine Discontent', and a lot of what you have shared fits the same spirit (and sometimes even similar words!) as some of the lyrics. It's worth a listen if your ears and mind have some free moments :). Thanks again, and I hope you keep doing what you're doing. ~peace and blessings:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashley,

      Could you be more encouraging?? Nope ;) You're amazing and missed. Thank you so much for your inspiring words. I haven't listened to them in ages- I'll look it up! I am well and I hope you're doing well, too!

      Much joy,
      Megan

      Delete