Home Featured Relationships Inspirational DIY

Saturday, January 25, 2014

The Balancing Act



Sometimes I feel like I'm in a traveling circus. 

And I'm the main juggling act, that just so happens to perform on the high-wire...failing miserably & looking like a hot-mess! 

And I long for a huge safety net. Or a break from the show. Can I get an amen? 

So, what do we do? How do we balance all this life? How do we fully love when we're so spent

Sojourn's current sermon series is on rest. And it couldn't come at a better time. Kyle and I working full-time, juggling our relationships, & life-responsibilities has proven to be quite the task. [And this is without children!] This isn't complaining. This is a beautiful season to be in. We're thankful. But this is just honesty. I've had a hard time. 

I'm drained at the end of the day, I just want to cook something quick, change into my pj's, and veg. Sometimes simply texting someone back seems too exhausting. But oh how that desire is far from what I need to do [most nights]. [Sure, there are nights that exact equation is needed, but that can't be my life. I just can't let it be.] So what's a spent girl to do? Rest. 

I'm guessing you're thinking, "Oh, what a great idea- I've never thought of that before?" (definitely in a sarcastic tone.) or "Sure, when can I do that?" or maybe even a statement like, "Are you crazy?" Whatever you're thinking, it can be done, I promise.  

After years of thinking that rest only could consist of a nap with a blanket on the couch [or in the bed if you had no place to be the next day & could sleep for hours.], I'm seeing that's not always true- it doesn't always provide true rest

So what does? I can't speak for you, but for me, I've found a few somewhat unconventional ways to rest. Writing, studying scripture, & reading [which, honestly isn't a lot] gives me energy- it relaxes & calms my restlessness. Coffee or talking with friends & family soothes my soul & recharges my drained mind. Car-conversations with my husband awakens deep passions for life & my faith. Having people over & cleaning up the aftermath while thinking of conversations just had, the meal shared, and the joy that friendship brings makes me happy. And other times, it's taking a bubble bath, going to bed early, or talking [seriously, sometimes I just need to get a good "talk" out.]. And last, but definitely not least, taking little moments [sometimes a split second] throughout my day to close my eyes & spill my guts to my Savior. 

Most everything in that list requires a fair amount of activity- and some of you couldn't even begin to imagine feeling rested after doing them! Honestly, there was a time I didn't either. But that's what I'm getting at- rest can sometimes look different to each of us- the meaning can sometimes change.  

But thankfully, the gospel doesn't change. And rest is a part of it! 

And that balancing act- it doesn't have to be perfect! He died so we don't have to be perfect. He died so we can rest. [and that's a pretty darn big safety net!]

So that's where I am- I'm learning to truly rest. To let go of trying to perfectly balance my life. To let go of trying to perfectly love. 

Because of Him, I can truly rest & I can fully love. And you can too- taking time to rest & care for yourself will help you fully love, because friends, He fully loves you. 

Isaiah 40:28-31

The Message (MSG)
27-31 Why would you ever complain, O Jacob,
    or, whine, Israel, saying,
God has lost track of me.
    He doesn’t care what happens to me”?
Don’t you know anything? Haven’t you been listening?
God doesn’t come and go. God lasts.
    He’s Creator of all you can see or imagine.
He doesn’t get tired out, doesn’t pause to catch his breath.
    And he knows everything, inside and out.
He energizes those who get tired,
    gives fresh strength to dropouts.
For even young people tire and drop out,
    young folk in their prime stumble and fall.
But those who wait upon God get fresh strength.
    They spread their wings and soar like eagles,
They run and don’t get tired,
    they walk and don’t lag behind.


No comments:

Post a Comment